Monday 23 March 2015

Piano Lessons

Today was Warrior Kid's very first piano lesson. A group of Homeschool kids were starting lessons at one of the families homes, so we decided to give it a go. I honestly did not think my boy would do it, not that I don't have faith in him, it was just something he never showed interest in and he has always struggled in class/group settings especially with something new, but he wanted to try given that the children he liked playing with were giving it a go. 

I had pre warned the lovely teacher, did the ASD mum run down and hoped for the best. I liked her approach and loved that it was not learning sheet music and reading music but was using a right brained learning approach with patterns etc. It gave me the hope that if music was ever going to work for him then this was the way it was going to work.

So today was the first one. 

He had nerves all morning. 

AND HE DID FANTASTIC !!!!!!! 

Honestly I was so proud! Yeah you are thinking - that's what all mothers say LOL 

Not only did he last the lesson and do what he was asked (which is a struggle for an ASD child who has learning disabilities and ADHD on top), he coped in a group and when all the mums came into the room to see what they had learnt, he asked to get up and play the part of the song they had learnt so far. No mistakes. Great timing. NO ANXIETY!!!

I had a smile, clapped with all the other mums, looked cool and calm when he looked at me. Inside I was doing a little happy dance and having my own little party. Oh Em Gee!  

He has since come home and gotten out his little 'toy' keyboard and been practising and showed his father.  I am hoping the enthusiasm keeps up and he continues to progress. Even if it doesn't though, getting through today was such a huge deal for us. 


So that was today. A music lesson. Piano Day. NAILED IT! 



3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I was so impressed! Everyone was able to do it and that's rare with traditional lessons. Looking forward to next week :D

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it was a resounding success!

    I tried to get my aspie son into piano for a couple of years but he ended up hating it and gave up. However this year he started playing trombone and is doing OK with that, as well as composition. It's great when they find their musical groove.

    ReplyDelete